Built in 1920, this elegant colonial estate is perched high on the ridge of Princes Road in Suva. One distinguished former owner was Harold Gatty who acquired this property in the 1930s and built the first ever swimming pool in Suva on the estate and was popular for serving “silver service high teas”.
In 1967, a former British District Commissioner/Administrator for the Gilbert & Ellice Islands (now known as Kiribati & Tuvalu), Forster Brian Weeks bought the estate as a residence for his retirement and spent the rest of his life here.
Mr Weeks’ daughter, Tarei and her Dutch born husband, Roderic Evers returned to Fiji from The Netherlands in 1999 to have their first-born child. Soon, they embarked on their longstanding dream of returning the property to its former glory. Following extensive renovations the original colonial residence and gardens were transformed into a world class boutique hotel.
With improvements including the modernization of the original swimming pool from the 1930s, a covered walk way, and a beautiful and spacious verandah/dining facility Five Princes was born. Since 2005, Five Princes Hotel has reigned as Suva’s foremost boutique hotel.